UPCOMING Events for Carol Henderson’s
- WRITING TOWARD HEALING. 9:30 a.m. – noon at First Presbyterian Church in Durham, NC. Led by Carol Henderson, author of http://www.amazon.com/Farther-Along-Writing-Thirteen-Bereaved/dp/0996098429/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1429713720&sr=1-1Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers. The current group is closed. Sponsored by Project Compassion and The Inavale Foundation.
- JULY 29, 2012: THE SWAMP SISTAS LA LA – 4 – 8 p.m. at Starbright Farm 271 Westbend School Rd Lewisville, NC 27023. Books for sale and signing. See http://www.bethmckee.com/nc-lala
- AUGUST 10, 2012: BOOK LAUNCH PARTY. 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Community Arts Cafe, 411 W. 4th Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101. Books available. Book Signing.
- AUGUST 25, 2012: BOOK SIGNING. 2 p.m. Flyleaf Books, 752 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Chapel Hill, NC.
- AUGUST 30, 2012: BOOK SIGNING. 7:30 p.m. Quail Ridge Books & Music, 3522 Wade Ave., Raleigh, NC 27607.
Book signing after the readings at Quail Ridge Books and Music in Raleigh.
- SEPTEMBER 7, 2012: SYMPOSIUM AT PROJECT COMPASSION ON FARTHER ALONG: WRITING TOWARD HEALING. 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. United Church of Chapel Hill, 1321 Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard, Chapel Hill, NC 27514. For More Information: http://www.project-compassion.org/
- SEPTEMBER 8, 2012: BOOKMARKS FESTIVAL. 9 a.m.-10 a.m. in Winston-Salem Writers Booth, Downtown Arts District at Sixth and Trade streets, Winston-Salem, NC. For more information: http://www.bookmarksbookfestival.org/
- SEPTEMBER 8, 2012: MORAVIAN FESTIVAL. 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. New Philadelphia Moravian Church, 4440 Country Club Road, Winston-Salem, NC 27104. See http://www.moravianfestival.org/ for more information.
Kathy and Monica share the story of Farther Along at the Moravian Festival on September 8.
- SEPTEMBER 29, 2012: BLACK WALNUT FESTIVAL. Book signing and sales 10 a.m. – 4 p.m,. Bethania, NC See http://historicbethania.org/events.htm
- OCTOBER 11, 2012: HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARECENTER OF WINSTON-SALEM. Book launch and panel discussion 3-4:30 p.m. 101 Hospice Lane, Winston-Salem, NC 27103. RSVP to Rhonda.firstname.lastname@example.org 336-768-6157, ext. 1622.
Carol spoke about the therapeutic benefits of writing and offered examples from the book as several of the mothers read their work at the Oct. 11 event at Hospice and Palliative CareCenter in Winston-Salem. Diane Spaugh from Hospice, sitting on the front row at the far left, helped in planning the first meetings for the group of mothers in 2002 and 2003.
- OCTOBER 12, 2012: KINDERMOURN. 5:30-7:30 p.m. RSVP to Jill Shipp, email@example.com or 704-376-2580. 1320 Harding Place,CHARLOTTE, NC
- OCTOBER 13, 2012: HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE CENTER OF WINSTON-SALEM. 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Writing Session. Free and open to the public for any adult who has suffered the loss of a loved one. Call 336-768-6157 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- NOVEMBER 3, 2012: SYMPOSIUM AT HOSPICE SUPPORT OF FAUQUIER COUNTY ON FARTHER ALONG: WRITING TOWARD HEALING. 8:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., John Barton Payne Building (Two) Courthouse Square, Warrenton, VA. 20186.
Free of charge, but registration is required. Phone 540-347-5922 to register.
- NOVEMBER 4, 2012: 11th ANNUAL VOICES OF HOPE IN THE PARK. Books for Sale. 1 – 4 p.m. Library Park – Spencer, NC
Balloons are ready for launching at the Voices for Hope concert at Spencer, NC on Nov. 4 where copies of Farther Along were sold.
- NOVEMBER 10, 2012: HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE CENTER OF WINSTON-SALEM. 9 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Writing Session. Free and open to the public for any adult who has suffered the loss of a loved one. Call 336-768-6157 or email email@example.com .
- NOVEMBER 11, 2012: McINTYRE’S BOOKS. 2 p.m. Book signing. 220 Market Street (Fearrington Village), Pittsboro, NC
- NOVEMBER 16, 2012: CARENET SYMPOSIUM. Winston-Salem, NC. See http://carenetcounseling.wordpress.com/2012/12/14/reflections-from-the-annual-carenet-meeting/ for more.
- DECEMBER 1, 2012: MUDDY CREEK CAFE BOOK SIGNING AND SALES. 11 a.m.- 2 p.m.., BETHANIA, NC
- DECEMBER 13, 2012: READING AND BOOK SIGNING AT POMEGRANATE BOOKS. 7 p.m. 4418 Park Avenue, Wilmington, NC. 910-452-1107. http://pombooks.net/events
- JANUARY 13, 20, 27, FEBRUARY 3, 2013: POWERFUL WORDS: WRITING FOR REMEMBRANCE AND HEALING. 2 – 4 p.m. each Sunday. Led by Kelly Sechrist, contributor to Farther Along: the Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers and Lorraine Perry, Grief Counselor and Expressive Arts Therapist. For registration, contact Cape Fear Hospice at 910-796-7991. For information about the workshop, Contact Kelly Sechrist at firstname.lastname@example.org. See also http://www.hospiceandlifecarecenter.org/portals/0/documents/powerfulwords.pdf. Lower Cape Fear Hospice Phillips LifeCare & Counseling Center, 1414 Physicians Drive, Wilmington, NC.
- FEBRUARY 12, 2013: BOOK READING, SIGNING and SALES. Delta Kappa Gamma-Zeta Chapter. Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church, Bolton St., Winston-Salem, NC
- FEBRUARY 19, 26, MARCH 5, 12, 2013: POWERFUL WORDS: WRITING FOR REMEMBRANCE AND HEALING. A four-week writing workshop for grieving parents, designed for reflection, self-awareness and healing. 7-8:30 p.m. Kindermourn. 1320 Harding Place, Charlotte, NC. Contact Jill Shipp at email@example.com to register and for more information, see http://www.kindermourn.org/. Led by Julie Hester, a contributor to Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers.
- FEBRUARY 24, MARCH 3, 10, 17, 2013: WRITING FOR REMEMBRANCE AND HEALING. Four weekly sessions during Lenten studies for those who are grieving. 5-6 p.m. Led by Rev. John Rights, Richard Bovender and Kay Windsor, contributor to Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers. New Philadelphia Moravian Church, Winston-Salem, NC.
- APRIL 11, 25, 2013: The Children’s Center, Winston-Salem, NC. Two-session workshop led by Dottye Currin, contributor to Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers. Parents of children who are served by The Children’s Center are invited.
- APRIL 27, 2013: SYMPOSIUM on FARTHER ALONG:WRITING TOWARD HEALING. 10 a.m.-noon. Sponsored by The Michael Yang Foundation at the Literary Bookpost, 110 S. Main St., Salisbury, NC. See http://www.michaelyangfound.org and contact Lori Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Free. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE–Farther Along.Apr.27
Peggy and Carol at the Literary Bookpost in Salisbury, NC for the April 27 symposium and book presentation.
- APRIL 27, 2013: BOOK NOTES and SIGNING. 2-4 p.m. at the Literary Bookpost, 110 S. Main St., Salisbury, NC 28144. Sponsored by the Michael Yang Foundation. Contact Lori Yang at email@example.com for more information. See also http://www.literarybookpost.com/ and FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE–Farther Along.Apr.27 And here’s a link to a blog post by an attendee to this event who did not expect to be there: http://dawnfromphilly.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-sacred-moment-random-bookstore-and.html
- FEBRUARY- APRIL, 2013: Writing Group for Bereaved. 10 a.m..-12 noon at Hospice Support of Fauquier County, 42 N. Fifth St., Warrenton, VA. 20186. Contact Betsy Anderson, contributor to Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers, at 540-272-0229 for more information.
- MAY 6, 2013: PRESENTATION, DISCUSSION and BOOK SIGNING led by Carol Henderson, author of Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers and Losing Malcolm: A Mother’s Journey Through Grief. Sponsored by Hope Floats and Wellness Center. 7-8:30 p.m. at The Memory Room, Trackside Plaza 2 Canton Street/ Suite 120, Stoughton, MA. Reservations Required: 781-363-0480. For more information: Memory Room even
- MAY 16, 2013: SYMPOSIUM ON FARTHER ALONG: WRITING TOWARD HEALING. Sponsored by Project Compassion, Carol Henderson Workshops, LLC and the Inavale Foundation. 9:00 a.m. – 3:15 p.m. at St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 1200 West Cornwallis Rd., Durham. NC http://www.stpauls-lutheran.com/. For registration information: http://www.project-compassion.org/.
- JUNE 1, 2013: Bethania Arts and Antiques Festival. Bethania Mill Shoppes and Muddy Creek Cafe, Bethania, NC. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Book sales and signing
- JULY 17, 2013: BOOK READING, SIGNING and SALES. Winston-Salem, NC.
Seven of the Farther Along mothers read new material at a dinner and book reading hosted by a Winston-Salem couple.
- AUGUST 17, 2013: BOOK READING for Delta Kappa Gamma, Beta Nu Chapter in Winston-Salem, NC
- SEPTEMBER 7, 2013: BOOKMARKS FESTIVAL. Winston-Salem, NC 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. See http://bookmarksnc.org/get-involved/exhibitors-vendors-info#.UgapPmRgaE
Carol talks with Lane Goddard at Bookmarks festival in Winston-Salem.
- SEPTEMBER 4,11,18, 2013: REFLECTIVE WRITING at SECU Family House, 1970 Baldwin Drive, Winston-Salem, NC. Noon to 4 p.m. See http://www.familyhousews.org/events/farther-along-writing/ for more information.
- SEPTEMBER 21, 2013: BOOK READING, SIGNING and SALES. Barnhill’s Books and Wine Shop, 811 Burke St, Winston-Salem, NC 27101, 336-602-1383. 2-4 p.m. http://www.onlyatbarnhills.com/
- SEPTEMBER 21, 2013: HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE CENTER OF WINSTON-SALEM. 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Writing Session. Free and open to the public for any adult who has suffered the loss of a loved one. Registration is required; call 336-768-6157, ext. 1600.
- SEPTEMBER 22, 2013: Book sales at the Second Birthday BBQ at SECU Family House, 1970 Baldwin Lane, Winston-Salem, NC
- OCTOBER 15, 22, 29 and NOVEMBER 5: POWERFUL WORDS: WRITING FOR REMEMBRANCE AND HEALING. Four-week writing workshop for grieving parents led by Julie Hester. Sponsored by KinderMourn, 7-8:30 p.m. at 1320 Harding Place, Charlotte, NC 28204. Contact Jill Shipp at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. $50 covers the cost of the workshop, a writing journal and a copy of Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers by Carol Henderson. Click for Powerful Words brochure or see www.kindermourn.org.
- OCTOBER 26 and NOVEMBER 9: HOSPICE AND PALLIATIVE CARE CENTER OF WINSTON-SALEM. 9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Writing Session. Free and open to the public for any adult who has suffered the loss of a loved one. Led by Carol Henderson. Registration is required; call 336-768-6157, ext. 1600.
- NOVEMBER 3, 2013: 12th annual VOICES of HOPE. Music in the Park, 1-4 p.m. Library Park, Spencer, NC.
Balloons with notes to loved ones are launched at the Voices of Hope event in Spencer, NC on November 3.
- MARCH 22, 2014: FARTHER ALONG: WRITING TOWARD REFLECTION, SELF-AWARENESS AND HEALING. Sawtooth School for Visual Art, 251 N. Spruce St. Winston-Salem, NC 27101. This symposium is designed for community members and professionals touched by grief and bereavement and for anyone who is interested in reflective writing. 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Registration information and CEU credit through Northwest Area Health Education Center (AHEC) of Wake Forest School of Medicine at http://northwestahec.wfubmc.edu/mura/www/#/event/41315 . See the brochure: March22. Sponsored bySECU Family House, Mrs. Pumpkin’s Bakery and Deli, Sawtooth School for Visual Art and NorthwestAHEC.
Dottye reads an excerpt from Farther Along as participants listen at the Writing Toward Healing symposium at Sawtooth School for Visual Art on March 22.