We are thirteen mothers who have been writing together since October 2002. You will meet us on this blog as we continue to write, and now you can also meet us in the recently published book Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers.
Twice a year, we meet for writing retreats, usually in the mountains or at the sea. We cry together, we laugh, we eat, we run or walk or swim. We share soup and solace and the words of our hearts. We write together surrounded by foggy mountain skies and the iambic meter of the ocean.
Among us, we have lost fourteen children. Without their deaths, we probably would not have known each other; our lives were disparate (and maybe desperate too), yet we have found solace and healing connections as we have continued to write.
We marked ten years of writing together by traveling to a château in France for a week of writing. We are ready to share some of our stories both in this blog and in the book, Farther Along: The Writing Journey of Thirteen Bereaved Mothers.
Use the menu at the top of the page to find pages on our site or the links that follow.
- Click on About Us to see updates about the thirteen writers in our group.
- Choose Writings from Prompts to read some of our pieces written to prompts.
- News about the book includes links to news articles about the book and reviews.
- How to purchase Farther Along offers sales information.
- Book Events keeps an updated list of events: symposia, readings, signings and sales for the book.
- Or click on Writing Workshops to find events using the book’s reflective writing either as events open to the community or as ongoing workshops.
- Choose Wise Words to see thoughts about our journeys or Recipes to share some of our comfort food or Art Works to see art that we have created.
- Sisterhood of the Traveling Sign starts a once-in-a-while serial story of the travels of a special sign.
- More Links and Resources offers links to other blogs and sites that we have found helpful.
- To read all of the work of a specific writer on the blog, you can go to About Us and click on the link at the end of each writer’s bio. Most recent writings appear as links with the writer’s name in WRITERS IN OUR GROUP on the left sidebar on each page of the site.